Thursday, June 24, 2010

Designer Gown

After attending my friend Jane's wedding (yes, ATTENDING!!) a couple weeks ago, I was absolutely blown away by the beauty of her gown.  Of course, all wedding gowns are beautiful (or we'll say most!) but Jane's was special.  Jane designed her own wedding gown with the help of a couture bridal shop in Evanston called Dame Couture.

I thought other brides-to-be might be interested in the process of creating one's own gown, so I asked Jane a few questions about the process.  Before we get started, here's a teaser of Jane's dress (all photos by my talented friend, Ellie Papke):

1) What made you decide to have your dress made instead of buying it at a store?
I searched for months for a wedding dress.  I was being extremely picky about what I wanted and simply couldn't find my "dream dress."  Finally, I found what I considered to be "the dress."  It was a Melissa Sweet dress, which was perfect...except for the price tag.  I couldn't justify spending so much money on a dress that I wear only once.  So, I researched wedding dress designers in Chicago.  I visited three wedding designers and felt the most comfortable and confident with Holly Greenhagen from Dame Couture in Evanston.

2) Was it much more expensive than buying a gown?
Price-wise, my dress was very reasonable!  For the materials and details of what I wanted, the price was incredible compared to what I would have paid if I had gone with the Melissa Sweet version.

3) Did you know exactly what you wanted, or did the designer help you create it?
I had an idea of what I wanted since I had already fallen in love with the Melissa Sweet dress.  Along the way, Holly and I made small changes to the dress to accommodate my style and body.  The designer definitely helped me decide on what would look best. 

4) What was your favorite part of the dress?
My favorite part of the dress was that it was ME in every way.  I helped decide on every color (there are actually quite a few shades of ivory to choose from!!), every pattern, every cut, every detail, etc.  I made my dream dress that fit me perfectly!

5) What's your advice to someone who is considering having her dress made but isn't sure?
If you're willing to put the time and effort into making your wedding dress, then having your dress made is totally worth it.  Be prepared to be a part of the entire process!

I did get to speak with Holly briefly when I let her know I was planning to do this post.  She's really great and I strongly recommend contacting Dame Couture if you're considering having your dress made.


And now for a little more eye candy :) 



Designer GownSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails